Thursday 1 December 2016

An Art exibition Review

Art Exibition Review

Pop Art Myths



Hi guys!
Today I want to talk about an exibition I saw a few days ago virtually that I pretty much enjoyed! This exibition took place in Madrid. it was difficult for me to move there, so I visited by the internet. 



This exibition called Pop Art Myths took place in 2014, in the Thyssen Museum of Madrid. Here I add the link of the exibition, if you want to visit it. 


This museum is situated in El Paseo del Prado, 8, in the center of Madrid. It is a very nice place to go. After visiting the museum, you can enjoy the nice parks of the surroundings. 
This exibition was presented from the 10th July to the 14th of September 2014. 

In this exibition we could find a lot of different artists or performers of this artistic mouvement, and also to classify them into different categories. For example, there are a few paintings of comic figures as one of Andy Warhol Double Mickey Mouse from 1981, or Look Mickey by Lichteinstein from 1961.
There are a few sections dedicated to women as the painting of Marylin Idol from Wolf Vostell, Cleopatra from Mimmo Rotella and Marylin Idol (details) from Wolf Vostell. This sections illustrates some women idols.
Marilyn Idol, Wolf Vostell, 1962

Other sections are the ones dedicated for the paintings that represent advertisements of products we use to consume in our dailylife. Those paintings are Big Torn Campbell's soup can and Brillo Soap  Pads from Warhol, but also the painting Still Life from Tom Wesselman where we can see a bottle of the well-known brand Coca-Cola.

     

I think this exhibition presents a view of modernity and originality through art. It is not as the paintings that we would imagine when we talk about art. And also, when I saw it I thought the paintings were very easilly understood, the concept and all of it.

The works I valued the most were the ones illustrating Disney chararcters. I think they are funny and also I like everything that it is about Disney. I also think they are very cute, and they enable you to keep closer to your childhood, which mine was very close to Disney movies or characters.

Double Mickey Mouse, Andy Warhol, 1981


I also did like the ones illustrating Marylin Monror, because I do like this singer. She's an icon and a myth. I love how she is represented in those paintings.


About the exhibiton, I personaly don't think there's something missing. I think this exhibition is pretty completed, very creative, and interresting.

I would like to emphasize more in the myths that are represented in the exhibiton. As we know, this exhibition is called "Pop art myths" so I want to talk about the myths represented in this exhibiton. 
One of the most famous myths that are represented here is the myth of Marylin Monroe. It is represented two times by Vostell. Other myths represented in this exhibition are Marlon Brando, which I already talked before. Another myths is the myth of Venus, the gooddess of love. This painting is called Details of Renaissance paintings by Andy Warhol. I liked those paintings because they represent famous myths of our society. These are different types of myth such as actors or mithology gods. I probably would add the paintings of Mickey Mouse as paintings of other types of myths from the american society. 


OK, guys so after introducing the exhibition, I would like to introduce myself. I was raised in a family where there is a huge presence of all that refers to art. My parents and I visited a lot of exhibition during my childhood, which influenced me since I became an art critic. I studied 4 years of fine art at the university, and then I speacilized in Art Critic. 

So, to show you guys I'm not lying, I will criticize the next painting. 
It is called Marlon from 1966, by Andy Warhol.



Marlon, 1966, Andy Warhol


I wanted to present this painting, because this man represented in it, is a famous american actor who became a icon of the cinema. This actor as Marylin Monroe, is kind of a myth, because he was and keeps very famous. There are several aspects that I liked in this painting. At first, this painting seems to be an old picture (I speacially like old pictures, I think they are very elegant); then, I also like the way Marlon Brando is represented. He is on his motobike, with a leather jacket, and a cap. that makes me think about the movies of the 1960's. I also think he is very well-done represented because of his look. It gives me a feeling of mistery with his cap hidding half of his upper face. As I already said, this work was made by Andy Warhol. This latter was an american artist with Eslovaquian origins borned in 1928. He started his carreer in the 1950's, participating in the decoration of the illustrations of a shoes advertisement. Those illustrations were placed in the art gallery Bodley of New York. Warhol wanted to emphasize the misterious, and the elegance represented in Marlon Brando. Using this american shot, he wants to give us the feeling that he is kind of an icon. Also, this filter in black and white, gives us the feeling of rebelliousness, elegancy and mistery.

This exhibition was organised by the Museo Thyssen of Madrid, in collaboration with Japan Tobacco International. This exhibition hasn't travelled but some of its artist recieved awards. Andy Warhol received the 35th Annual Art Reward for Distinctive Merit for his she advertisement that made him famous. He also won the Independant film award from Film Culture magazine.
A few of them became very famous for their works, as Andy Warhol for his Marylin Monroe portrait.
Marilyn Monroe, 1964


Also Roy Liechsteinstein with Woman in the bath.

Woman in the Bath 1963, Liechsteintein

And a few more...












2 comments: